1/14/09

Slack candidates fail.

The ever vigilant Naked Politics says that

Broward Property Appraiser Lori Parrish said she is thinking about running for the seat being vacated by Mel Martinez in the U.S. Senate.

"It's just one of those things I am thinking about,'' Parrish said. "Am I running around to possum festivals all over the state? No, but I think I could work one.''

Parrish is one of the longest serving Democrats in Broward. She started her political career on the school board in 1984 and later became a county commissioner. She was elected property appraiser in 2004.

and

Parrish said one of her hestitations would be that she doesn't want to spend much of her time away from her Davie home. And she wants to know how much money she'd have to raise.

"I talked to somebody and they said it requires raising $50 million,'' Parrish said. "I said 'what? Does it?' I wouldn't think it was that much.''

This absolutely kills me. So in summary someone who has never run outside of Broward and has no name rec among the state [hell, in Miami] wants to run for the U.S. Senate. That's fine, I'm all for underdog stories. But don't tell me that you're considering one, haven't been briefed on how much it costs AND that you don't want to be far from home. You'd work in Washington DC!!!!!! And more than that, to campaign, you may have to go to nearly the other side of the world, like Tallahassee. So if you're not willing to go to "possum festivals", not willing to "travel around the state you want to represent" and not willing to be "informed or briefed on how much it costs to run a statewide campaign in one of the most expensive states in the nation" what exactly are you trying to convey. I really don't understand this. Good luck to Lori Parrish.

No comments: