1/16/09

Alex Sink Out of Senate Race--UPDATED

Well then, the person seen as a frontrunner for the Senate seat among Democrats is out:

Florida's CFO Alex Sink is making calls, telling people that she has decided not to run for the U.S. Senate, a seat that will be open in 2010. That probably assures that state Sen. Dan Gelber of Miami Beach will get in, and likely makes the race more attractive to U.S. Rep. Allen Boyd of Monticello.

Check out her statement: “Over the past several weeks, I have given serious and careful thought to my own future and, more importantly, to the future of our state. And I am extremely grateful for the support and advice so many friends and fellow Floridians have shared. I believe my skills and abilities are of greatest use here in Florida, where I am honored to serve as Chief Financial Officer. And I will run for re-election as Chief Financial Officer to continue being a fiscal watchdog on behalf of the people of Florida."


She wants to be Governor I take it. This should be a very interesting race now, and Dan Gelber who has been waiting to see what happens is now lined up to be the next one to throw his name into the race.

UPDATE:
And Naked Politics says:
And here's what state Sen. Dan Gelber of Miami Beach had to say: "I was prepared to fully support Alex had she chosen the US Senate seat as her next step in public life, and it is now my hope to share the ballot with her in 2010 as we work together as Floridians to bring real change to our state and restore the dream of a time past, when the state that we love was a beacon of a better life for anyone who seeks it.Given this morning's news, I expect to officially enter the race in the coming weeks."

No comments: